Thursday, November 10, 2011

waste not, want not

I have always envied my mother's ability to rummage through the fridge and create something spectacular. I on the other hand typically have very specific cravings and envision very particular meals that involve long lists and shopping, not leaving much to the creative rummaging process. After Sunday's pizza night I was left with a ton of random leftovers and have made it my personal challenge to not let anything go to waste. Yesterday, rather than studying, I decided to make lunch and just "wing it" without a recipe and without purchasing a single item. Today I repeated the challenge and again it was a success! I didn't have the ease of my mother, but after scouring of the internet I came up with a couple ideas and things turned out beautifully.

 

Quiche three ways: Broccoli and parmesan - tomato, goat cheese and basil - spinach and feta. I served them with a simple salad, and crostinis topped with coarsely chopped artichoke mixed with salt, garlic, and olive oil.

 

Today for lunch I wanted a heartier meal. I decided to make something hot to fullfill that craving. I made open face caprese salad sandwiches with a side of mushrooms and spinach sauteed in butter and sprinkled with truffle salt. When lunch was served the realization was made that the mushrooms and spinach belonged on the sandwich as well. Next time I'll assemble everything together with the mozzarella on top. Simple and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment