Thursday, February 14, 2013

Obsessed: Soup

I cannot stop eating soup! After sweet potato, broccoli and a delicious corn and potato chowder I had at a friend's bbq, I am completely obsessed. This week I wanted to make loaded baked potato. Trying to be healthy I decided to experiment mixing cauliflower with potatoes, using no cream, and just a bit of bacon fat for flavor. Making the soup base so healthy enabled me to add a sprinkling of the traditional fixings without any guilt.

I didn't use a recipe so here is a first attempt at my own. Enjoy.

Ingredients:
4 slices bacon
1 head of cauliflower
4 large russet potatoes
1 white onion
2 celery stalks
carrots (I used a handful of baby carrots)
4 cups low sodium chicken stock
salt and pepper

Toppings (optional):
sour cream
grated cheese
chopped bacon
green onions

Preparation:
1. Fry bacon until crisp. Set aside. Transfer 2 tbsp bacon fat to a large pot and sautĂ© chopped onions, celery and carrots. 
2. Peel potatoes and chop two. Wash and cut up cauliflower. Add to pot and cover with chicken stock. Simmer.
3. Chop remaining two potatoes and cook in a separate pan of salted boiling water.
4. When potatoes and cauliflower are tender. Puree.
5. When your two separate potatoes are tender add to pureed soup and mash slightly. This will give you a chunky chowder texture.  
6. Season with salt and pepper and top with fixings of your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment